Do you want to give your backyard that amazing view? Landscape lighting is all you need to take your backyard from normal to elaborate and flashy.
Landscape lighting is one of the few things that appear pleasing to every individual, and the only challenge attached to this amazing project is how to make it appear natural.
As much as you want to achieve that dramatic/exciting look around your pathways, it is also important to do it the right way. There is nothing as frustrating as having those annoying glares coming from the trees in your yard.
To start with, you must have an idea of the size of the available space for this project.
This simply assists you in coming up with an adequate plan of how best to make use of the space. It is essential you know where and why you need lighting.
Some of the areas where you can consider for landscape lighting are the patios, the decks, and your pathways.
Also, a need for good lighting can be for the purpose of having a place for your kids to play around and exercise at nightfall, or it could be as simple as just enjoying that beautiful view lighting gives while driving back home every night.
Apart from the need to make adequate use of the available space for the lighting project, there is also a need to consider the kinds of designs to go for. Lights can do more than the primary purpose/aim.
In addition to walking down the pathway safely, they can as well create that amazing view that brings out the beauty of your landscaping even at nightfall.
Although the function of your layout is an important factor to consider, the design components of the layout should as well be considered and treated as an important factor.
The function and the design components of your layout are very important, ensure you handle these two factors as such.
Essential design tips to consider for landscape lighting
1. To start with, pick out/ identify those exciting features in your yard, your favorite features.
2. And if you consider/perceive some areas that seem to stand odd when it’s daytime, you can add some exciting features to those areas.
The additions don’t have to be expensive. A simple feature such as a stone wall can add that needed drama to those boring areas when approached with light at night.
3. A shopping list is definitely important. So, there is a need to come up with one. Before you proceed to create a shopping list, you can adopt the basic task of getting to find out the likely effects that lighting may have on your yard.
To try out the various effects it can have on your yard, simply go to your yard with a flashlight, a good one at that.
Although it doesn’t give you the actual or complete effect, it enables you to check out various situations/ likely effects of lighting on the target areas/spaces.
4. The goal is not to light everywhere, right? If that is it, consider safety first. To start with, you can target the critical areas. The critical areas are the walkways and stairs. These two areas have their specially designed fittings.
5. Afterward, you can then proceed to accent lighting. Consider those features that have what it takes to appear uniquely different when lit. These features can be a particular set of trees, and it can be a very big stone.
To bring out the texture and shape, it is important to consider going for low voltage lightings. In addition, make sure you do not light all the trees in your yard. Yes, it’s tempting, but you can resist it.
6. One of the common practices is the use of several attachments/fixtures. It is not necessary you follow this culture. For instance, on your walkways, you can light one side of the path.
Another option is that you can as well stagger the attachments/fixtures, alternating between the two sides of the path. And if you are thinking of lighting upcurved paths, all you have to do is to light within the curve.
7. Also, it is important to note that every location has its own special fixtures. So, go for fixtures that deliver on the job that every location requires.
8. For instance, for bushes and decorative grasses, in order to achieve a wonderful uplighting effect, ensure you go for good lights.
9. If your focus is on a particular feature in your home, most times, it can be your favorite feature. It is advised you go for spotlights. For the best result, make sure the lights shine much brighter than other lights in that space or surrounding.
10. To put lights on the ground, around a feature, then, you can try out the downlights. This approach ensures you have sufficient lighting available at dusk.
11. When it comes to general lighting, the perfect fixtures are tier lights.
12. For path lighting, you can either go for edge fixtures or downlights. For path lighting, there is no need to light the area around it or the one above it.
13. Landscape lighting has just one goal. The main goal of landscape lighting is seeing the effect of the light. The source of light is not really a major factor to consider. Although, this statement seems not to be applicable to path lighting.
This is because path lighting is purposely designed to look attractive/decorative. So the source of the light and the effect of the light are both considered.
14. Ensure you approach the right people for your lighting project. At all time, Make sure you patronize lighting suppliers that have a fantastic track record in superior service delivery.
The focus should be on the delivery of up-to-date lighting products. Not only that, these lighting products must be of high quality.
Landscape Lighting Effects/Strategies
To get the right result when it comes to landscape lighting, the following strategies are what you should adopt.
1. Downlighting: this approach or strategy gives way to gentle light by directing the lights downward. On so many occasions, the lights are being aimed at the ground from a tree. The effect of the lighting can be related to that of the moonlight.
Naturally, you can’t have a moonlight every day. But with downlighting, you can have to yourself a moonlight every night.
The effect of downlighting is considered or perceived to be romantic. Not only that, but it is also perfect for those late-night conversations.
2. Uplighting: If you are a great fan of those exciting dramas, you will like the effect of this lighting. It gives rise to those bold shadows and very strong effects. The approach is simple.
How it works is by aiming the lights directly into a tree or onto any of your favorite features. Uplighting ensure you eliminate those dark shadows at night with bright lights.
3. Cross lighting: this strategy is adopted in a bid to get rid of shadows. The elimination of shadow is achieved by lighting a central point from the two sides. Using this strategy, you can light up a whole tree canopy.
Landscape lighting comes with a lot of benefits. Some of the benefits attached to this project are the improvements it brings to your home in terms of safety and security. In addition, it brings about functionality and beauty to your home.
If you are confused about those areas to complement with lighting in your home, the following are areas to consider.
- Water features
- Architectural structures
In conclusion, achieving that special effects with lighting solely depends on how well you can effectively put light and shadow into use. Also, whatever effect you create, depends greatly on your architecture and landscape.
Considering the options available on the market today, landscape lighting has all it takes to inform your visitors what the atmosphere of your home looks like even before they get through the front door of your home.
Remember, when the lighting is bad, no matter how expensive your home is, it can transform it into an inexpensive and uncomfortable place or sight to behold.