Home is truly where the heart is. After a long busy day, it is where you go to find a sense of comfort. It is the place you go to in order to relax. That’s why it’s important to always maintain a welcoming atmosphere inside your home.
One important factor to consider is your lighting. The kind of lighting you have affects the overall ambiance of your home which, in turn, may also have an effect on your mood. But of course, that won’t be a problem if you have the convenience of dimmer switches right at the touch of your hand.
However, with numerous products available in the market, trying to find the perfect product can be overwhelming. Buying the most expensive one has no guarantee that it will work for your home. Lucky for you, the best dimmer for LED bulbs in your home exists. You just have to learn how to find the right one, and this article is right here to help you!
To make sure everything you need to know about finding the best dimmer switch for LED lights will be covered, this article will discuss the following topics:
- Dimmer Switch Products Review
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
But wait! Before heading straight to reading all the important information in this article, here’s a quick rundown of the great products featured here that will surely help you in your hunt for the best dimmer switch for LED lights!
Finding the Best Dimmer Switch for LED Lights: A Quick Rundown
Top 10 Best Dimmer Switch for LED Lights
1. TP-Link Kasa HS220
Read Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Wall mount dimmer with a 150-watt maximum load for LED lights
- Kasa app available for your Android and iOS device
- Compatible with voice control devices
- Custom features such as Gentle Off and scheduling settings
Setting up the TP-Link Kasa HS220 dimmer switch is fairly easy as it can replace your existing light switches. You just need a neutral wire, a secured WiFi network, and basic knowledge on electrical wiring. You don’t have to worry about making mistakes since a comprehensive guide and instruction can also be found in the Kasa app available for both Android and iOS devices.
Aside from the free mobile app, your Kasa dimmers may also be controlled through a voice command that’s made possible through smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Microsoft Cortana. This dimmer switch also has custom features that give its users a convenient experience.
The Gentle Off feature allows slow fading of the lights with just one click while the scheduling feature automatically turns on and off the lights at a specific time even when you’re not home.
The TP-Link Kasa HS220 works well with a dimmable LED with a maximum load of 150 watts and incandescent bulbs with a maximum load of 300 watts. This product also comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Accessible through voice command and on your smartphones through the free Kasa app
- Advanced Gentle Off feature and scheduling settings
- Connects to your WiFi network without requiring a hub
- Some users experienced flickering issues when trying to connect the dimmer switch to more than one LED bulb
- This product’s 2-year warranty is shorter than other dimmer switches available in the market
2. Lutron Caseta Smart Start Kit
Read Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Deluxe smart dimmer kit that can work up to 150 watts for LED lights
- Works well with different bulb types which can reach up to 17 bulbs at once
- Accessible wherever you are in the world through the free Lutron app
- Pico remote for control anywhere within your home
- Compatible with smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa, Apple Home Kit, and Google Assistant
- Custom features such as Smart Away and scheduling settings
This deluxe dimmer kit includes 1 Caseta Smart Bridge, 2 Caseta dimmer switches with wallplates, and 2 Pico dimming remotes. As a control hub that doesn’t rely on WiFi, the smart bridge is an efficient, reliable choice since you won’t have to worry about resetting and reconnecting everything when you lose your connection. The kit can be set up with your existing wiring system, and neutral wires aren’t required.
By choosing this product, you get your money’s worth since each dimmer switch is compatible with different types of lighting and capable of accommodating as many as 17 bulbs at the same time. Controlling your lights is also made easier through a variety of ways: from your wall, through the free Lutron app, through voice command via Amazon Alexa, Apple Home Kit, and Google Assistant, and through the included Pico remotes.
One of the features of this kit is a scheduling setting that allows you to adjust your lighting system to align with your everyday routine or with the seasons. It also has a Smart Away feature which automatically controls your lights in random periods while you’re away from home.
With its advanced features and settings, Lutron Caseta Smart Start Kit is a great addition to your smart home system if you’re looking for premium products at the right price.
- Efficient and accessible through a variety of ways
- Works well without interfering with your WiFi connection
- Universal dimmer switch that can control up to 17 bulbs at once
- Advanced features and settings that satisfy your needs
- The layout of the switch and remote are complicated and not user-friendly, making it a challenge to find the right button to press, especially in the dark
- The number of Lutron-certified bulbs you can use with this dimmer switch is quite limited
- This dimmer doesn’t have a default dimming level setting, so every time you turn on the lights from the switch, it will turn up to its maximum brightness
- If you don’t have any experience with electrical wiring and technology, setting this kit up might be difficult
3. Leviton 6674-P0W SureSlide
- Works well with different types of lighting
- Compatible with dimmable LED lights up to 150 watts
- Efficient design that combines the traditional on/off rocker switch with the slick slide switch
- Built-in interference filters to avoid disruptions in your TV and radio
If you’re just starting to discover the beauty of using dimmers, then the Leviton 6674-P0W SureSlide is surely a great choice. Designed to work well with all types of lighting, this universal dimmer is capable of adapting to new technology and guaranteed to have long-lasting functionality at a low, affordable price.
With an efficient design, this dimmer has a slide switch for more precise control over your lights in addition to the traditional on/off rocker switch. Setting the perfect brightness level while saving money and energy at the same time is now possible through the Leviton 6674-P0W SureSlide.
Setting up this dimmer switch is as easy as replacing your old switches and neutral wires aren’t required. You may also enjoy a 5-year limited warranty for every device.
- Quality product at an affordable price
- Large slide switch for easier settings adjustment
- Easy to install and compatible with most LED dimmable bulbs
- Energy-saving and environment-friendly features
- Some users have complained about flickering and buzzing issues when the dimmer is turned on the highest setting
- In terms of design, the on/off rocker switch at the bottom of the slide switch may be too small for some users
4. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave PlusRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Supports up to 150 watts of LED lights
- Accessible through your smartphones and voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Expandable with up to four GE Add-on switches
- Wide range of up to 150 feet
- Custom settings include scenes, personalized schedules, and alerts
- Blue LED indicator light for access in the dark
- Compatible with older Z-wave products
Are you looking for an environment- and budget-friendly dimmer switch? If so, this one’s for you. The GE Enbrighten Z-wave Plus has a full-range capability that allows you to adjust your light’s brightness level from 0-100 percent, helping you save energy and prolong the bulb’s life.
Aside from that, it also has features that allow setting schedules, creating light scenes, and receiving important alerts. Its blue LED indicator light is also convenient for locating the switch, especially in dark rooms.
Once you set up the dimmer with any Z-wave certified hub such as SmartThings, Ring Alarm, Wink, etc., your lighting system may also be accessed through voice control via Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and your iOS or Android device. Do take note that a neutral wire is also required for this dimmer.
Lastly, expanding your lighting system, which can reach a range of as wide as 150 feet, is made easier with this dimmer switch. Aside from multi-switch setups that can accommodate up to four GE Add-on switches, the Z-Wave dimmers from older generations are also compatible with Z-Wave Plus.
- Environment-friendly features that can help save more energy while prolonging the life of your light bulbs
- Efficient control through voice assistants and your mobile devices
- Easily expandable with GE Add-on switches and compatible older Z-wave products
- Wide range without sacrificing product’s quality
- Alerts and settings you can personalize to suit your daily routine
- User-friendly layout
- This product’s 2-year warranty is shorter than other dimmer switches available in the market
- Some users have reported issues with flashing or flickering lights
- LED bulbs compatible with this dimmer switch are limited
5. Leviton DW6HD-1BZ Decora SmartRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- In-wall WiFi controlled dimmer compatible up to 300 watts dimmable LED lights
- My Leviton app available for your iOS and Android for access wherever you are
- Custom features such as auto-shutoff, vacation mode, and multi-location
- Voice command control through Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
If you’re looking for the best dimmer switch for LED lights in your smart home, then you might want to check out this cool product from Leviton.
The Leviton DW6HD-1BZ Decora Smart is an in-wall dimmer switch that can support your dimmable LED bulbs with loads up to 300 watts. With this product, you don’t have to worry about installing a bulky hub on your walls since it will be connected to your WiFi. You can simply replace your old switch and insert the required neutral wire to power up your smart dimmer, and you’re good to go! To help you more, your dimmer switch also comes with an application guide and installation manual.
Controlling your lighting is made even easier through a variety of ways: from your wall, through the free My Leviton app on your iOS and Android devices, and through voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
This product also comes with advanced features that can help you customize your lighting experience. Through the auto-shutoff feature, you can set personalized schedules at any time of the day including during sunrise and sunset.
For added security, the vacation mode randomly adjusts your lights to make it seem that you’re still at home even when you’re away on a trip. Lastly, the multi-location feature allows control over your lights for up to 4 remote units. The Leviton DW6HD-1BZ Decora Smart also comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Clear, easy-to-follow instructions for setup and installation
- Efficient switch design
- Accessible wherever through a mobile app
- Voice control compatible
- Advanced features and settings for all your lighting needs
- Issues with the product might arise if your WiFi router is not working well.
- Whether it’s turned on or off, this dimmer consumes the same amount of energy which makes it not energy-efficient
6. Philips Hue Smart Dimmer SwitchRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Philips Hue App available for Android and iOS mobile devices
- Voice control compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Assistant
- Connects up to 10 LED lights at the same time
- Custom features such as default dim settings and color changes
Another great choice for starters is the Philips Hue Smart dimmer switch. This battery-powered dimmer can accommodate up to 10 LED bulbs and still maintain a long-lasting battery life that can reach up to two years. Aside from the required Hue Hub, which is sold separately, this dimmer switch also doesn’t require a complex installation process.
With the help of Hue Hub, controlling your dimmers is possible in different ways: from the wall, through voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Assistant, through free Philips Hue App on your smartphones, and through the included remote. It also has custom features available with just one tap which allows you to set a default dim level and change the color of your lights.
You may expand your smart lighting system with Hue accessories such as Hue Tap and Hue Motion Sensor.
- Capable of connecting multiple bulbs up to 10 at a time
- Accessible through a variety of ways
- Expandable home lighting system
- Long-lasting battery life
- Advanced custom features accessible with just a tap
- This dimmer switch is exclusive for Philips Hue Lights and requires a separate Hue Hub
- Some users experienced connectivity issues with their dimmer switch which unpairs from time to time
- In some cases, the device requires pressing the button multiple times for it to respond
7. Tessan Smart Dimmer SwitchRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Wall mount dimmer switch that works with up to 150 watts of LED lights
- Compatible with Smart Life app on your Android or iOS device
- Voice command possible through Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Personalized features such as timer and default brightness level settings
Are you getting tired of the constant flickering of your lights? Lucky for you, the Tessan Smart Dimmer Switch is precisely designed to combat that problem. This wall-mount dimmer works well with dimmable LED and CFL with a maximum load of 150 watts and incandescent bulbs with a maximum load of 400 watts. Setting up this product only requires a neutral wire.
For greater access by its users, the Tessan Smart Dimmer Switch can be controlled through the Smart Life app available on Android and iOS as well as through voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Features include setting a default brightness level and a timer for a personalized schedule for your lights.
The switch itself is also designed to have an indicator that shows the brightness level. This product comes with an 18-month warranty and free lifetime support.
- Designed to avoid flickering issues when used with dimmable LED lights
- Custom features to fit your everyday use
- Easy to follow setup and installation instructions
- Accessible through voice command devices and mobile app
- The dimness setting on the switch itself is limited; accurately setting the brightness level is only accessible through voice command and the app
- The LED indicator lights on the switch are too bright for some users
- This product is a little bit expensive compared to other dimmer switches that have similar features
- The product’s 18-month warranty is much shorter than other dimmer switches available in the market
8. Lutron Diva C.L Dimmer SwitchRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Supports up to 150 watts of LED lights
- Efficiently combines the traditional rocker paddle for on/off functions with a slide switch for accurate brightness level settings
- Doesn’t require a neutral wire and can be set up in single or 3-way systems
With its efficient layout which features a large rocker switch for on/off function and a slick slide switch for more precise control on your brightness level, the Lutron Diva C.L. Dimmer Switch is a good choice if you’re not a fan of smart switches. With no neutral wire required, setting up can easily be done in several minutes. While it works well on its own, this dimmer is also flexible to 3-way applications.
The Lutron Diva C.L. Dimmer Switch is compatible with dimmable LED lights of up to 150 watts and incandescent and halogen bulbs of up to 600 watts. The dimmer comes with a coordinating wall plate and a one-year limited warranty.
- Efficient switch design for precise control on your lights
- Easy-to-follow setup and installation instructions
- Capable of 3-way applications for easier control on your lighting system
- Some users have raised issues with hearing a buzzing sound
- Some bulbs aren’t compatible with this dimmer switch
- The one-year limited warranty is much shorter than other dimmer switches
9. iDevices Dimmer SwitchRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Works in single-pole and multi-way setups
- Voice control is possible through Amazon Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant
- iDevices Connected app available for any Android or iOS device
- Purple locator light on the switch allows easy access even in the dark
- Custom features such as schedule settings and scenes
With the iDevices dimmer switch, controlling your lighting system has become easier through compatible voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. Without any hub required, this dimmer is also accessible through the iDevices Connected app available on Android and iOS devices.
One of the features of this smart dimmer is the ability to set schedules and scenes to suit your daily routine. Aside from this, its elegant design also brings in a purple locator light which makes finding the switch in the dark easy and accident-free.
Lastly, the iDevices dimmer switch is a flexible companion to your lights since it also allows multi-way setups such as 3- and 4-way applications exclusive to this product.
- Accessible through voice assistants and mobile apps
- Flexible setup systems
- Elegant design with locator light for easy access
- Scheduling and scenes features fit for your routine
- Some users have reported connectivity issues wherein the device would have to be restarted in order to be connected again
- This dimmer switch is quite expensive compared to other dimmer switches with similar features
- The product’s 2-year limited warranty is shorter than other dimmer switches available in the market
10. Insteon Smart Dimmer SwitchRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Wall mount rocker switch which supports loads up to 600 watts
- Voice control is possible through Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Custom features such as brightness level and speed setting
- Functions through its own dual-band mesh technology
Using its own dual-band mesh technology, the Insteon smart dimmer switch doesn’t have to rely on WiFi or any other radio-only signals. With this, this product promises an efficient and reliable service for your dimmable LED bulbs with a maximum load of 600 watts.
Through the required Insteon Hub, controlling your lights is possible through a mobile app and compatible voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. A few nice features include the ability to set a default brightness level which helps save energy and a speed setting you can personalize up to 8 minutes.
For your convenience, the dimmer also includes a Quick Start Guide and materials you need for the installation such as two mounting screws and four wire nuts. Don’t forget the required neutral wire to power up your device. Lastly, it comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Advanced energy-saving features
- Personalized features to suit your everyday routine
- Accessible through voice control
- Doesn’t rely on WiFi
- Some users have experienced some communication issues with their devices failing to respond
- The quality of the product tends to decrease as it grows older which makes it necessary to be constantly replaced
- Setting up the product might be difficult if you’re not knowledgeable about dual-band technology
LED Dimmer Switch Buying Guide
Finding the perfect product for your lighting system can be difficult when you have so many options to choose from. Fortunately, this buying guide is here to help you out.
Without further ado, here are the factors you should consider when looking for the best dimmer for LED bulbs:
Different Types Of Lighting
Before you head on to buy a dimmer switch, it’s important that you must first know what type of lighting you have in your home. Each type has its own features, so knowing these will help you find the right one for your home:
- The incandescent bulb is the most common type known to many of us. While it is the easiest to dim, this lighting source is also one of the most energy-inefficient. Newer versions of this type now use halogen to improve lifespan and efficiency.
- Addressing issues with inefficiency, Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFL) last longer and use less energy.
- Lastly, Light-Emitting Diode or LED is the most efficient type of lighting available in the market. This lighting source uses minimal power while offering smooth dimming.
Different Types Of Dimmers
If you want to find the best dimmer for LED bulbs, you should also be knowledgeable about the different types of dimmers. Depending on your needs, there’s surely the right one for you.
A single-pole dimmer is suitable for small rooms since only one switch controls the light. Meanwhile, a three-way dimmer allows controlling your lights with two on/off switches, a four-way dimmer allows control with three or more on/off switches.
There are also multi-location dimmers that allow both on/off and dimming controls from different compatible devices such as a dimmer switch, 3-way switches, and smart-home systems. Lastly, there’s the plug-in dimmer which is a practical choice for your plug-in lamps and fixtures.
Different Types Of Control Styles
Another thing to consider in picking the best dimmer switch for LED bulbs is the control style. Aside from choosing what looks good on your wall, it’s also important to choose the most convenient style for you. The most common control styles are rotary, slide, rocker, tap, and toggle.
To avoid any issues and other incidents, you should also check the wattage load on your lighting sources and compare it with the maximum load of the dimmer you’ve chosen. If you have multiple bulbs in one dimmer, make sure the combined wattage won’t overload. For your safety, always choose a dimmable LED with a wattage lower than the maximum load of your dimmer.
Other Factors to Consider
- Control – with our fast and evolving technology, more and more ways to control your lighting sources have emerged. Aside from the traditional way through the switch on your walls, it is also now possible to adjust your lights through a remote, an app on your smartphones, and voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Smart home features – dimmer switches have also started going beyond the simple adjustment settings on your lights. Today, new features have already been introduced such as a memory function, custom features such as schedules and speed settings, and added security through Home Away settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the advantages of using a dimmer switch?
A: Aside from complete access and control on your lights, using a dimmer switch can help improve the lifespan of your lighting sources. While you’re saving money, you can also help save the environment since dimmer switches reduce energy consumption.
Q: What is a neutral wire?
A: A neutral wire is a type of wire that is required for most dimmers as it provides the energy needed for these to function.
Q: Are all LED bulbs dimmable?
A: While most of them do, not all LED bulbs are dimmable. Since dimmable LED bulbs dim in different ways, it’s an essential practice to check if your bulbs are compatible with your dimmer through the manufacturer’s compatibility sheet usually available online.
Q: Can I use non-dimmable bulbs with a dimmer switch?
A: No, as doing so might cause issues such as flickering and buzzing. Eventually, this can damage your non-dimmable bulbs.
Q: Do I need to hire a professional to install my dimmer switch?
A: If you have basic knowledge of lighting and electrical wiring, it is not necessary since most manufacturers provide setup guides and instructions. However, professional installation is still recommended to ensure safety.
Lighting is an important aspect that affects the overall mood of a room. If you want to maintain a welcoming atmosphere in your home, setting up a dimmer switch for your lighting system is definitely the right choice. Hopefully, with this article, you’re now more equipped with the information you need to find the best dimmer switch for LED lights.